Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day Weekend - very productive

We spent Labor Day weekend, well laboring. Bill had big plans to finish putting up all the railings on our new deck, but it turned out to be a lot more work than he thought! He did get half of them done and the other half are started. One more Saturday and the deck will finally be done!

I have a show coming up this Saturday, September 8 - Waukesha Art Fest. Stop by if you are in the area. I would love to see you! Anyway, I wanted to get some new Fall stuff done for the show. I've had a major bracelet and earring addiction lately and really needed to get some necklaces done. I have a bunch of new metal pieces I've been working on so it was about time to put those pieces to use. Here are some of the things I made:

 
Bright golden brass is not something I do a lot of. I try to have 1 or 2 pieces at shows in case someone really wants it. However, my friend the fashion designer tells me that gold is very trendy right now & that's what I keep reading so here's a little gold for you. I added violet patina to my handmade big ring and sanded it a big so the brass would show through. Then I added pyrite and a green kyanite stick to give it a more boho/tribal vibe, which I love. 

 
More metal pieces that I recently made. I etched the bottom rectangle and added patina. Both rings were hammered, formed, and patinated by me, myself & I.


 
Again, I made the metal pieces in this necklace. I added a cool blue kyanite stick & some rough green stone that I don't remember what it is. I should really write these things down, but it looks cool anyway.

 
I really love the colors on this one. I made all the metal pieces & added patina in a soft coral red and mustard yellow. Another kyanite stick dangles at the bottom. The fabric mustard & navy beads were handmade by youth in Uganda. I love buying beads that are made in Africa and knowing that my purchase really makes a difference. It's so cool! I was pretty thrilled with the idea of wire wrapping the fabric bead on the copper stick. I told Bill I had a stroke of genius!
 
There is more, but I'll save some for another post. I also worked on some more new components with my torch. I'm waiting for the sealant to dry and then need to add a coat of wax before I can get pictures. Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment